Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Agreement With Apathy

Today started out just like any other day. Cliche as this is already sounding, it might be worth the read. The problem is that lately my 'other days' have been filled with a lack for, well anything. Im starting my sophmore year in collge, getting back into a routine (if you will) and have honestly never been more tired from nothing in my entire life. I have no reason to be tired. I just have grown used to my complacency. Needless to say, things were a little different today. A couple of days ago, someone was telling me that i should check out the Message. It's a version of the Bible that has been paraphrased (not translated) by a pastor named Eugene Peterson. With a name like that, you know things are probably going to get pretty serious. Anyway, today I actually purchased it and without even reading the actual Bible, I read his introduction.
I wasnt really even paying attention to what i was reading because a group of people that were already at church were getting on nerves (mainly because I was in a bad mood but also because..well). Then, I came across this.
"Reading is the first thing, just reading the Bible. As we read we enter a new world of words and find ourselves in on a conversation in which God has the first and last words. We soon realize that we are included in the conversation. We didnt expect this. But this precisely what generation after generation of Bible readers do find: The Bible is not only abou us but to us. In these pages we become insiders to a conversation in which God uses words to form and bless us, to teach us and guide us, to forgive and save us.
We aren't used to this. We are used to reading books that explain things, or tell us what to do, or inspire or entertain us. But this is different. This is a world of revelation: God revealing to people just like us- men and women created in God's image- how God works and what is going on in this world. At the same time that God reveals this all, God draws us in by invitation and command to participate in God's working life. We gradually (or suddenly) realize that we are insiders in the most significant action of our time as God establishes his grand rule of love and justice on this earth. "Revelation" means that we are reading something we couldn't have guessed or figured out on our own. Revelation is what makes the Bible unique."

If you read all that, youre a serious trooper. And hopefully, you can take a piece of understanding from it like I have. Those words are so true and so often I am aware of God's presence but can't begin to fathom His justice. I'm not trying to get all preachy or tell you I had a "God moment" because i strongly dislike that term. But today, God knew what the burden on my heart was and he knew exactly what i was going through. I like this lyric "You're the only one that understands completely. You're the only one who knows me yet still loves completely." And that song holds a dear place in my heart because sometimes all I yearn for is understanding.

This blog is beginning to take the shape of a short novel.
I think I'll wrap it up here by saying that the ties I have so often shared with apathy in recent months have been severed.
Ive never been more glad to lose a 'friend'.



2 comments:

andrea said...

W0W. You are a deep thinker. Very Interesting.

CT said...

I really liked the last line. Seriously insightful.